Sustainability is in our DNA
As a family-owned multi-generational business, sustainability has many levels of importance to us.
- Our winery is an active participant in the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA) and has been certified since 2016.
- All of our Dutton Ranch vineyards are 100% Fish-Friendly Farming certified since 2014 to protect endangered coho salmon and steelhead trout.
- Our Dutton Ranch vineyards are certified Sonoma County Sustainable.
- Beginning with the 2017 vintage, Dutton Estate wines feature the Sonoma County Sustainably Farmed Grapes logo on our wine bottles. We pleased to help lead this effort in our region.
Third-party certification for these programs increase the wine industry’s long-term sustainability by following identified best practices, ensuring continual improvement, and keeping everyone honest and transparent.
The benefits for these initiatives are multi-layered including, for us, being good citizens and neighbors in our community.
- Environmental Stewardship
- Water Conservation
- Energy Efficiency
- Healthy Soils
- Responsible Pest Management
- Wildlife Habitat Protection
- Solid Waste Management
- Air Quality Protection
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Higher Quality Grapes and Wine
EXAMPLES IN ACTION
A few items highlighting our commitment.
- The Sonoma County Sustainably Grown Grapes logo on our wine bottles beginning with the 2017 harvest ensures wine lovers we are actively participating in certified sustainability programs.
- Installation of artificial grass surrounding the Winery Tasting Room reducing water usage. Native plants and drip irrigation compound the water savings.
- We built and posted more than 100 owl boxes suited to specific owls species to help with natural pest management (plus it is fun to watch their families grow!)
- As part of our Fish Friendly Farming practices, we reduced erosion and soil loss while farming plus improved water quality to support the biodiversity of the ecosystem in addition to coho salmon and steelhead trout.
- A member since its early inception days beginning with Joe’s father, Joe Dutton has been a director since 2001 and is now president of the Gold Ridge Resource Conservation District, a group dedicated to promoting healthy farming through a variety of projects including range management, conservation education, and watershed enhancement.
- Insulating winery tanks to improve energy efficiencies.
- Recycle all broken glass and corks plus repurpose used barrels for up-cycling opportunity.
- Collaborated with service providers so winery customers can easily return packaging for reuse.
- Implemented use of organic materials into our pest management programs as outlined by both the Sonoma County Sustainable and CSWA.
- Our Winery Sustainability Project Manager is certified by the Wine Institute as an Ambassador in California Sustainable Winegrowing providing insight into the dynamic sustainability movement.
- Expanding job opportunities and housing for the vineyard crew.
It is important to have our winery and vineyards certified by their respective initiatives. The process varies by accreditation program and usually includes:
- Annual Self-Assessment of best practices and Third-Party Audit with minimum thresholds met and/or exceeded.
- Sustainability Performance Metrics for Water, Energy, Nitrogen, and GHGs. Wineries must measure and record water use, energy use, and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Continuous Improvement. Action plans are required and audited to demonstrate adoption of sustainable practices.
If you have any questions about our sustainability programs, let us know.
Learn more about our vineyards.
8757 Green Valley Road
Sebastopol, CA 95472
Tasting Room Hours:
Our family is six generations of forward-thinking Sonoma County farmers. Joe and Tracy’s agricultural heritage is deeply rooted in Sonoma County, and wanted that same experience for their three daughters. Meet the Family.
Our prestigious fruit is derived from our family’s appraised farming operation, Dutton Ranch. Our vineyards are located in the heart of Green Valley’s Russian River Valley, and just 15 miles from Sonoma Coasts’ Pacific Ocean. Explore our Vineyards.
Surrounded by friends and family, Dutton Estate Winery has a warm group of winemakers, chefs and administrators who are dedicated to bring visitors the ultimate winery experience. Meet the Team.
The Dutton Estate winemaking team work hand in hand, sharing their commitment to allow the expression of the terroir from the selected estate family vineyards. Learn About Our Winemaking.