Cheddar Cheese and Red Pepper Spread
- 6 ounces extra sharp cheddar, finely grated (micro-plane is best) by hand
- 2 large roasted red bell peppers (or other sweet peppers or pimentos, roasted or jarred, to equal about ¾ cup), diced
- 1/3 cups of mayonnaise
- 3 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Hot sauce or pinch of cayenne to taste
Place all the ingredients in food processor and pulse until mixture is relatively smooth and flecked with small pieces of red pepper. Chill at least 2 hours to let the flavors meld.
Serve as a spread with crackers, as a filling for finger sandwiches, or spread on sliced baguette and bake/broil for a few minutes to serve hot.