- 8 ozs bacon chopped
- 1/4 cup premium olive oil
- 6 cups finely chopped yellow onions (approx. 4 large onions)
- 4 tbsps unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups medium-diced Yukon gold potatoes, peeled (approx. 2 pounds)
- 10 cups sweet corn kernels, fresh (10 ears) or frozen (3 pounds)
- 2 cups half and half
In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon in the olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cob and blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain (if using frozen skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then add the half and half. Cook for 5 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Optional: Garnish with chopped bacon pieces.