Creamy Cheese and Potato Soup
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced in 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced into about 8-pieces
- 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
- 4 tbsps butter
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 ozs cream cheese
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Dutton Estate Chardonnay
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- creme fraiche for garnish
- chopped chives for garnish
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat add chicken broth, potatoes, carrots and onion. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Once vegetables have come to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer and continue cooking for about 20-25 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
Creamy Cheese Sauce Preparation:
In a medium non-stick pot over medium heat melt butter. Add the flour, pepper and salt. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. While stirring flour mixture, add the wine and milk. Bring mixture back to a simmer and cook for 1-minute. Remove from heat and whisk in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese, stir until cheese is creamy. Set aside.
Blending of the Soup:
In a food processor, and in small batches, puree the vegetable mixture until smooth. Add small batches of the vegetable mixture into the cheese sauce pot and stir until mixture is creamy smooth. Taste, add extra salt and white pepper if needed. Return blended pot of soup to medium heat and stirring constantly, bring soup back to a low simmer and serve in warm soup bowls.
Garnish with creme fraiche and chopped chives.