Five Cheese Chardonnay Macaroni and Cheese with a Bread Crumb Topping
- 1-pound elbow macaroni (a good quality Italian Semolina Wheat)
- 1-cubed butter (8-tablespoons)
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2-teaspoons mustard flour
- ½-teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- ½-teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2-teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-cups of whole milk
- 1-cup of Dutton Estate Chardonnay wine
- 4-ounces white cheddar cheese – shredded
- 4-ounces of Gruyere or Swiss cheese - shredded
- 4-ounces of cream cheese
- 4-ounces of Parmesan cheese – shredded
- 1-tablespoon salt to boil macaroni
- 4-quarts boiling water
- Bread Crumbs:
- 2 1.2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
To prepare bread crumb topping:
Melt butter, place breadcrubs in a lare bowl and pour melted butter over breadcrumbs and stir with a fork until all crumbs are coated in butter.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray
To prepare five cheese mixture:
Melt butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add flour, mustard flour, white pepper and salt and whisk until combined. Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color about 1-minute, whisking constantly add the wine, tabasco sauce and the milk. Again, whisking constantly bring the mixture to a boil, turn down the heat and let simmer for about another minute until creamy.
Turn off heat and start stirring in the cheeses; cream cheese, white cheddar, gruyere and parmesan. Pour cheese mixture over macaroni and stir pasta until completely coated with cheese mixture and transfer into the casserole dish and top the crumb topping.
Bake for about 30-minutes or until the crumbs are toasted golden brown.