Htipiti Spread (Roasted Red Pepper and Feta)
- 4 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2 tbsps plus ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp smoked or Kosher salt
- 8 ozs feta cheese (cow, sheep or goat), coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or oregano, minced, optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat peppers with olive oil and roast on a sheet pan until very tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool. Remove any loose skin.
Mash the garlic with the salt into a paste in a mortar and pestle or with the side of a French knife on a cutting board. Place the paste in the lemon juice for a few minutes while prepping other ingredients to soften the bite of the garlic. Then place peppers, lemon/garlic mixture, feta, herbs and paprika in processor and process until well combined. With processor running, drizzle in olive oil until incorporated. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight. Serve with fresh pita or pita chips.