Lemon Orzo Salad with Roasted Tomatoes, Feta and Pine Nuts
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (Meyer if you have it)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lb dry orzo pasta
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups diced red peppers
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallot
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (dry frying pan, medium heat, watch closely, stir frequently)
- 6 ozs sheep or goat feta, crumbled
- 1 cup minced fresh herbs (parsley, basil, chives)
Prepare dressing by whisking together zest, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil and add orzo. Boil until just done, 9-11 minutes. Drain in small holed colander or strainer and return to pot. Add ½ of the dressing, stir and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, toss tomatoes in 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil and spread out on silpat or foil lined sheet pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Repeat with red peppers on a separate pan. Roast until tomatoes have reduced and popped a little and peppers are softened and dark on edges. Remove and cool.
Add shallots, pine nuts, feta, tomatoes, herbs and remainder of dressing to cooled orzo and combine. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
Salad is best at room temperature. Store covered in refrigerator, removing an hour before serving.