- 6 ozs smoked applewood bacon, diced
- 2 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced 1/2 inch thickness
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 1/2 tsps minced garlic, about 4 cloves
- 2 tsps fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 26 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 6 stalks swiss chard, roughly chopped
- 2 cups small pasta bows, cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine, preferably Dutton Estate Jewell Block Pinot Noir
- 1 cup water
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsps fresh pesto
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsps fresh black pepper
- *Valley Ford Astero Gold Reserve Montsio Cheese, grated (or other freshly grated parmesan cheese)
- *Nick Sbicca Basil Infused Olive Oil
In a large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and crispy. Add onions, carrots, butternut squash, garlic, and thyme and cook over medium heat , stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add canned tomatoes, chicken stock, beef stock, wine, water, bay leaf, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Add the beans and cooked pasta and heat through. The soup should be thick but can be thinned with chicken stock if desired. Just before serving, add the swiss chard and cook until chard is just wilted. Stir in pesto and incorporate well into soup.
Serve in large shallow bowls.
*Garnish each serving with grated cheese and a light drizzle of basil infused olive oil.