Giada's Orzo Salad
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup approximately, Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipes follows
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsps honey
- 2 tsps salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Pour the broth into a large heavy saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in th orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.
*recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis