Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Hummus
- 8 Ounces carrots, (1/2 pound) peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 Cloves garlic peeled and left whole
- 1 Medium size shallot thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil to toss with carrots, garlic & shallots and salt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, tossed with carrots, garlic & shallots before roasting
- 1/2 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Extra Kosher salt to taste while pureeing roasted vegetables
- Beet crackers or Root vegetable chips, for Roasted Carrot & Chickpea Hummus
· On a small rimmed baking sheet, toss together carrots, garlic, and 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
· Cover with aluminum foil and roast until the carrots, garlic and shallots are tender and soft, about 20 to 25 minutes.
· Remove roasted vegetables from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
· Place the carrots, garlic, shallots and chickpeas in a food processor. Pulse to combine together and mixture starts to break apart.
· Add the fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, cayenne and about 1/2 teaspoon salt.
· Puree mixture until smooth and becomes an even pale orange color.
· Taste, if needed add extra salt
· Puree again until well Hummus is well incorporated
· Cover, refrigerate until completely cooled
· Serve with Beet Crackers or Root Vegetable Chips