Roasted Cauliflower and Coconut Milk Soup
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut/ broken into 1 ½ inch florets
- 4 tbsps olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp red curry paste (or more to taste)
- 1 cup Dutton Estate Sauvignon Blanc
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 14 ozs canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp micro-planed lemon zest
- 2 1/2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
Basil or lemon olive oil and/or fresh chopped basil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, toss the florets with 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread on sheet pan (silpat lined if you have it). Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Roast until edges are golden brown and pieces can be pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. (Check at 20 minutes and stir /flip if necessary).
In a soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions until softened and translucent, add garlic, curry paste, ginger and lemon zest and cook 2 minutes more. Add wine and cook a minute or two until mostly absorbed. Add stock, coconut milk, and salt and bring to a boil . Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow soup to cool for 20 minutes. Add cauliflower and puree in blender until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and add additional salt if needed. (May be made 3 days ahead. Chill covered.) Return to a low simmer before serving topped with drizzle of basil olive oil and or fresh basil if desired.