Savory Shortbread Parmesan Cookie
- 4 ozs (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 ozs Estero Gold Reserve or Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp finely ground pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp crisped prosciutto bits*
- 1 tbsp dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
In a stand mixer, cream the butter. Add cheese, pepper, herbs, prosciutto and tomatoes and beat until combined. Beat in flour until mixture is in crumbles. Add in lemon juice and beat until dough pulls together. Form the dough into logs and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Slice the dough in ¼ inch thick slices and arrange on silpat lined or ungreased baking sheet and bake until lightly browned and firm to the touch, 15 to 22 minutes.
*For Prosciutto bits: on a cooling rack placed inside a sheet pan, arrange the thin slices of prosciutto (not overlapping) and bake until shrunken and crisp when tapped, about 15-20 minutes. Cool and stack on a paper towel. Carefully wrap with paper towel to fully enclose, and crush with your hands into little bits. Carefully unwrap and store refrigerated in a covered container up to a week.