Smoked Trout Mousse with Orange and Chives
- • 1 1/4 cups fromage blanc or quark
- • 3 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- • 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- • 1/2 tsp. salt
- • Pinch of cayenne pepper
- • 1/4 lb. smoked trout fillet, skinned and coarsely chopped
- • Finely shredded zest of 2 oranges
- • 2 Tbs. snipped fresh chives, plus 1-inch lengths for garnish
- • 35 cracked-pepper water biscuits or cocktail-size pumpernickel bread slices
In a food processor, combine the fromage blanc, cream cheese, garlic, salt and cayenne and process until smooth. Add the smoked trout and half the orange zest, and pulse a few times just to combine.
Transfer to a bowl and gently stir in the snipped chives. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
Scoop the mousse into small soufflé dishes or other serving bowls. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Scatter the remaining orange zest and the chive lengths over the top of the mousse and serve with the water biscuits. Makes about 2 cups.
Note: For a more pungent spread, double the amount of smoked trout.
Serve and Enjoy!