Our Hard Cider
Joe grew up picking apples on his family’s ranch and today they have about 150 acres of apples at Dutton Ranch along with grape vineyards. Tracy’s family also has Sebastopol roots with apples of every sort. Inspired by their combined family history, this is fun project that we’ve been sharing with friends since 2016.
Keeping the apples and the pressed apple juice cold is the “secret” to our Hard Cider. This ensures that all the crisp apple flavors are retained and the acidity is smooth and bright. You could say “COLD” is our mantra. Cold Pressing, Cold Settling, Cold Fermenting, and Cold Storage make our Hard Apple Cider shine and differentiate us from many others.
All of our ciders, regardless the combination of apples used, go through our same handcrafted process. All of the fruit is sorted by hand and travels via a conveyor to the apple grinder where the juice is freshly cold pressed. After stainless steel tank fermentation, the cider is stored in neutral French oak barrels to give you a complete palate experience. The alcohol is typically higher than in other craft ciders due to the natural sweetness and natural sugar level of the freshly-picked apples from our estate orchards. At bottling, unlike many other cider producers, we add a kiss of carbonation to magnify the vibrancy and freshness.
Guests tell us that they find our ciders refreshing and not too sweet or too dry - the perfect sparkling cold beverage.
While delicious on their own chilled, we love pairing our Hard Ciders with food! A few ideas are:
- Chicken casseroles
- Quiche Lorraine.
- Glazed ham, bacon, or nearly any form of pork. Try this Cider Braised Pulled Pork Roast.
- Dishes cooked with onions and apples – sausages, lighter fish entrées.
- Buckwheat pancakes filled with ham, spinach, and cheese.
- Mild curries.
- Squash soup. Add a few crisp apple chips on top for extra pizzazz.
- Blue cheese – on its own or as an ingredient.
- Goat cheese or creamy Brie.
- Roasted turkey.
- Creamy pasta dishes like carbonara and Alfredo. Risotto is nice too.
- Stir fry bok choy.
- Sweet grilled fruit like nectarines.